BZU PAGES: Find Presentations, Reports, Student's Assignments and Daily Discussion; Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan Right Header

Register FAQ Community Calendar New Posts Navbar Right Corner
HOME BZU Mail Box Online Games Radio and TV Cricket All Albums
Go Back   BZU PAGES: Find Presentations, Reports, Student's Assignments and Daily Discussion; Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan > Entertainment & Enjoyment > Food Recipes

Food Recipes Food Recipes; All about girls

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Recipie Of 'Khaman'
Muzammil Muzammil is offline 17-02-2009, 09:29 AM

GUJARAT. The place. The beauty. The people. The language. The festivals. The food. What can I say? I can never get enough of it. I spent most of my growing years in Ahmedabad . This place has a rustic charm that you learn to love. The simplicity, straightforwardness and hospitality of the people you learn to respect. The language in its various forms is beautiful. The colors of the festivals especially garba during Navratri is enchanting and the food….oh I am lost for words now. A lot of people from other places do not like the sweet that goes into every food item that is prepared, but the taste grows on you slowly and it stays. In fact a lot of times, preparations do not taste as good without a little bit of the sweet ingredient - Sugar!
Khaman, is one of my favourite Guju preparations - more commonly and wrongly called dhokla in other parts of the nation. Dhokla is very different from khaman here is an easy khaman recipe that I hope you will all make and enjoy. I got this recipe from Tarla dalal’s site and modified it a little bit.

Besan (Chickpea flour) 1 cup
Rava (Sooji) 1 1/2 tbsp
Citric acid crystals 1/2 tsp
Ginger, chilli paste 1 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Sugar 2 1/2 tsp
Baking soda 1 1/4 tsp

For the garnish

Oil 1 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds (rai) 2 tsp
Hing a pinch
Green chillies 2-3 nos
Coriander leaves (cilantro) 2-3 tbsp
Grated coconut (optional) 2 tsp
Seasme seeds (til) (optional) 1 tsp
Water 1 cup

Mix all the ingredients except the baking soda. Add about 3/4 cup of water. usually grind about a tsp of ginger and 1 chilli in 3/4 cup of water since never buy ginger-chilli paste. The batter should be about the consistancy of dosa batter. Add little more water if required. There are two ways of preparing the khaman, steaming or microwaving. Microwaving is easier but khaman tends to become too dry and rubbery if you keep it out long (2-3 hrs). I would recommend microwaving only if you want to eat it up as soon as you prepare it.
Steaming: Apply some oil to a deep, flat bottomed stainless steel vessel (like a cake pan) that fits into your pressure cooker. Pour some water into the cooker and let it boil up. Once the water boils, add the baking soda to the batter and whip it up. It should froth up. Pour it into the prepared vessel to half the height (about 3/4 inch). Remember, the batter is going to rise up further and it needs some space. If you think the amount of batter is too much for your vessel’s capacity, just do it in batches and make sure you add the baking soda just before steaming each batch. Place it into the cooker at an elevated level making sure no water gets into it from the sides. Close the cooker and let it steam for about 10 minutes. Do not put the weight on the cooker. (This is done just like idlis).
Microwaving: Use a plastic/glass container that has a flat bottom and apply oil it. Add the baking soda to the batter and half-fill the container. Microwave for 4 minutes.
After steaming/microwaving, do the needle test and make sure it comes out clean. Let the khaman cool down and then transfer it to a plate and cut it into large squares. The original recipe by tarla dalal called for 1 1/2 tsp of eno fruit salt instead of salt and soda. Again, if you use eno, add it right before steaming or microwaving.If you have microwaved it, sprinkle some water on the khaman. For the garnish, heat up some oil and add mustard seeds. After they splutter, add hing and chillies and then pour it over the prepared khaman. Decorate with cilantro, coconut and til and you are done.

Muzammil
Super Moderator

Program / Discipline: English
Class Roll Number: 1234
Views: 2065
Old 28-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Live Today

Contact Number: ONLY SELECTED PERSON
Program / Discipline: M.Com
Class Roll Number: 13
Multan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recipie Of 'Khaman'

yam yam
waoooooooooooo
Old 29-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Muzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud of

1 Recipe banane me 1 year lage?
Old 29-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Addicted to Computer

Contact Number: ---------------
Program / Discipline: BSIT
Class Roll Number: 07-01
BSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant futureBSIT07-01 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsplanet View Post
1 Recipe banane me 1 year lage?
lol

waisay thread ka title daikh kar mein samjha tha "Recipie of Kamran"
really mujhay aisay hi laga tha...
Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Muzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud ofMuzammil has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSIT07-01 View Post
lol

waisay thread ka title daikh kar mein samjha tha "Recipie of Kamran"
really mujhay aisay hi laga tha...
Isiliye tum bhagte hue aaye ki let me learn how to make 'kamran'

Tags
khaman, recipie