View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 AM

Contact Number: Push me a PM if you really need
Program / Discipline: Alumni
Class Roll Number: ---
thecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond reputethecool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different Microsoft Windows Editions (Windows Flavors)

The now popular Windows line of products was first introduced in the 80s. Since then, Windows has evolved into Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Embedded, Media Center, Windows 2000, and Windows 98. Microsoft’s operating system comes in many different flavors

Windows 95
When it was introduced in 1995, Windows 95 revolutionized PC’s in both capability and ease of use. Before then, most people were using Windows 3.1 or DOS. This release introduced the Explorer interface and 32 bit applications. Windows 95 is good for older computers that are short on memory and disk space. It is no longer sold in most stores.

Windows 98
Introduced in 1998 as an upgrade to Windows 95 and 3.1, Windows 98 added to Windows 95 with features such as Internet Explorer, USB, and the FAT32 file system. This caused some controversy, but Windows 98 is still popular. Microsoft later released Windows 98 Second Edition as an upgrade, but 98SE is probably the most stable operating system available that uses the 9x kernel. Windows 98SE is the best choice for users who want compatibility and are not able to upgrade to XP because of hardware requirements or price. It is not sold in most stores.

Windows NT 4

Windows NT is more of a business operating system and lacks many multimedia capabilities that Windows 9x includes. To make up for this, Windows NT is extremely stable and doesn’t crash like Windows 9x does. When one application crashes, the Task Manager makes it easy to close the “crashed” application without bring the entire system down with it.

Windows 2000
Windows 2000 was originally “Windows NT 5”, but includes better multimedia features than Windows NT and remains just as stable. Unlike Windows NT 4, Windows 2000 supported the latest versions of DirectX and most hardware devices. Windows 2000 is also considered a “business” system, but techies and people who use computers often may also use Windows 2000 because of its combination is compatibility and stability. It is like Windows XP, just stripped of the extra multimedia features. There also exists Server editions of Windows 2000.

Windows Me
Originally called Millennium Edition, many people refer to this as the “Malfunctioning Edition” or “Memory Eater”. On the outside, it looks a bit like Windows 2000. Under the hood, however, it’s the same unstable Windows 9x kernel used in Windows 95 and Windows 98. Microsoft then added some other features, making this one of the least stable Microsoft operating systems ever released. Windows Me also covers up DOS booting, but this does not make it any less dependant on DOS than previous releases (Windows NT, 2000, and XP are fully 32 bit). It does, however, run DOS programs, just not in “native DOS” mode. ME also introduced System Restore, which is now integrated into XP.

Windows XP
Microsoft finally made a step in the right direction and completely ditched the older, less stable, Windows 9x kernel and built an operating system over Windows 2000 using the more solid NT kernel. At the same time, Microsoft added even more multimedia features and added cosmetic effects. For DOS applications, Windows XP provides features for these programs such as sound and CPU emulation. It is not perfect, but it makes XP a good candidate for upgrading from 98 or ME. XP still has its crashes, but they are rare and far between if configured correctly. Windows XP is available in two flavors: Home and Professional. Home Edition is designed for home users, and is intended to replace Windows 98 and Windows ME. Professional, on the other hand, includes extra features, such as multiple CPU support, for businesses and professionals. One downside to Windows XP is the Product Activation. This is intended to be an anti-piracy measure. WPA simply creates a hash code based on the serial number and system hardware. If another user tries to install Windows XP using the same serial number, it won’t work. If a significant computer upgrades requires re-activation, Windows can be reactivated over the phone. There also exists a 64-bit edition designed for x64 processors and an Embedded edition for devices such as computer kiosks.

Windows Server 2003

Server 2003 is designed for use on server machines, and includes some of the features of XP

Windows Vista
Vista is the newest generation of Windows (as of 2007), though I still haven't gotten it to install properly. There are several versions, including Home Basic, Premium, Business, and Ultimate.

Media Center
Media Center is a version of XP with extra multimedia features added, such as DVR. It is intended for use as an "entertainment hub" for TV shows, movies, and pictures. Some editions of Vista include Media Center enhancements

Overall, every release of Windows has its place. Windows NT was built for businesses with its stability, while Windows Me was built for the home user with its ease of use.